Friday, January 14, 2011

Liquid Breakfast

Yesterday, my son had a minor outpatient surgery, which meant last night, he threw up...a LOT once the anesthesia wore off.  When he woke me up this morning and announced he wanted pancakes and bacon, I happily obliged.  What can I say?  I was a push-over!  Not wanting to partake of the nothing-remotely-healthy-breakfast-of-champions he proposed, and not wanting to make a separate meal for myself, I decided to have a meal replacement shake instead.  I had two to chose from, but as the Atkins shake was already refridgerated, I opted to have the Atkins shake.  I turned the container over half way through my breakfast to read the nutrition label (guess I should have done this before I opened it) and found it had 160 calories and 10 grams of fat! 

I don't know how I feel about a liquid shake having so much fat in it.  Yes the calories are relatively low, it's chock full of vitamins, and the taste was phenomenal, but drinking 10 grams of fat just didn't seem right to me.  While I think I will continue to keep such items on hand for quick breakfasts when I am running late for work, I don't know that I should depend on the meal replacements for an average meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment