Friday, January 14, 2011

How many calories am I drinking????!!!!!

First, I must tell you, I am a coffee junkie.  If caffeine was outlawed today, I would be in a back alley looking to score first thing in the morning.  The Employer I work for has an unwritten motto that we run on coffee, and it's true.  The awesome coffee selection is just one of the many perks of working for a major website.  I love coffee, and the company I work for provides me more than I can drink for free!  Because of this, I rarely, if ever stop at one of the big overpriced coffee joints around town, unless it's the weekend, so I never pay attention to the warnings I see on dieting sites about the calorie content of a large specialty coffee at one of these said establishments.  As chance would have it yesterday, some of the coffee supplies in our communal break room were low, so being the grateful employee I am, I decided to do my part and restock.    As I was refilling the individual tubs of cream, I glanced at the nutritional content on the side of the box and noticed each small tub of creamer was 15 calories.  I instantly did a little math and realized each time I made myself a cup of coffee, I was adding 60 calories, per mug, of creamer alone.  On average I drink 4-6 mugs of coffee throughout my workday...yes I know that's alot!  This comes up to an extra 240 to 360 calories a day!  I averaged that to be 300 calories per work day, for a total of 1500 calories a week, and 75000 calories a work year (not counting 2 weeks of vacation).  Do you know what 75,000 calories equates to in pounds???  A little over 21 pounds!  From my coffee!

This was unacceptable to me so I decided to reduce my creamer usage by half as an experiment, and honestly, I could not tell a difference.  Now, I know you may be thinking "Why don't you just drink it black if you are really serious about losing weight?"  You may be right.  For a person to lose a serious amount of weight, sacrifices need to be made.  However, I also believe for a change to be long lasting, the changes need to account for certain aspects of your life you know you will never give up.  I will never give up coffee.  I would rather give up desserts for a lifetime, than to give up coffee forever.  The key is to find MODERATION.  Uhhhhhhhhhhh the dreaded M word!  But yes, moderation is where it's at.  There really is no need for me to be drinking 4-6 mugs of coffee, which really equates to around 8-12 regular cups because my mug holds 16 ounces.  This is especially true if I am seriously going to get in those 8 cups of water in throughout the day.  I do have to do actual work if I'm expected to continue riding the Juan Valdez train at my current Employer's expense. 

1 comment:

  1. hahaha I love it! such truth. I feel like when you are losing weight, and you are making an effort to be healthy, you have to start off slow. Especially if you have a food addiction (like I do!), otherwise you are overwhelmed and HATE your "diet".

    I am this way with Ketchup. I CAN'T live without it. But good lord, is it packed with calories, sodium and sugar! So, much to the dismay of the other Ketchup fiends who live in my household, I am switching to a healthier version that has less calories and sodium. Its not the same, but it will have to do!

    I think I just came up with the idea for my next blog post...


    ;)

    ReplyDelete